Follow these steps to start using the GoPro App with your HERO3+, HERO3, or your HD HERO2 camera + Wi-Fi BacPac for the first time:
Get the latest software
You can now update your HERO3+ Black Edition and HERO3+ Silver Edition camera software directly through the GoPro App. Check out this article for more information: How to Update Camera Software Wirelessly with the GoPro App.
- Make sure the software is up to date on the HERO3+ or HERO3 camera in the version.txt file (or the HD HERO2 camera, Wi-Fi BacPac, and Wi-Fi Remote in GoPro Studio).
Pair the camera and the GoPro App
- Open the GoPro App and select "Connect to Camera"
- Press the "Add A New Camera" button
- Select "Add Your HERO4"
- Press and hold the Settings button on the lefthand side of the camera until Wi-Fi Mode appears on the screen
- Press the mode button to scroll down to "GoPro App" and press the Select button
- Press the "Continue" button in the app
- Select your camera from the list (e.g. GP245###....)
- Enter the pin number and select "Pair My Camera"
- Create a new camera name and password
- You should now see and be able to control the camera that your phone or tablet is connected to
- Power on your camera. If you're using an HD HERO2 camera, with both units already powered on, attach the Wi-Fi BacPac to the HD HERO2 camera.
- Press the Wi-Fi button on the side of the HERO3/HERO3+ camera or Wi-Fi BacPac to go to the Wi-Fi menu. Note - you'll need to press the button two times if you're using the HERO3+ or HERO3 camera.
- If you have a HERO3/HERO3+ camera, select "GoPro App", or if you have an HD HERO2 camera, select “PHONE & TABLET”. This allows your phone or tablet to connect to the camera's Wi-Fi network so that you can control the camera.
- In your smart phone or tablet’s Wi-Fi Network settings, connect to the camera's Wi-Fi network. You should find the name of your camera/BacPac listed in your available Wi-Fi networks for you to select. By default, the name will be something like “GOPRO-BP-….”. The default password is “goprohero”.
- You can change the name and password of their Wi-Fi BacPac any time in GoPro Studio’s Device Window. You'd need to manually re-update the HERO3 camera software to change the name and password of the HERO3 camera. The password must be 8-63 characters long. It can contain upper and lower case letters, numbers 0-9, and symbols "@", "-", and "_".