If your computer is not recognizing the USB connection it could be one of a few things:
- There is a loose connection somewhere
- The USB cable is faulty
- There is a compatibility issue with the SD card
- There in confusion as to where to find the camera or SD card contents on the computer
- There is a fault with the camera itself.
Please try the following steps:
- If using a HERO3+ or older, be sure Wi-Fi is OFF before plugging the camera into the computer
- Be sure that the camera is powered on when it is plugged in, and showing the USB symbol on the front LCD screen, indicating the proper connection to the computer. If your camera is a HERO7 Black or newer, then try using a USB 3.0 cable instead.
- Try removing and reinserting the USB cable into the camera and computer, ensuring that both ends are fully inserted and secure.
- Try restarting the computer and reconnecting the camera, and if this does not help and you have access to another computer, try the additional computer as well. Sometimes, leaving the camera plugged in for awhile will allow it to successfully establish a connection.
If you are using a HERO3+ (updated to v03.00) or newer camera and you can see the USB symbol on the camera's LCD screen, but can't find the content on your computer, please refer to the appropriate article below for more information on the various appropriate methods available for transferring files from your GoPro camera to your computer, or watch our video tutorial on how to download your GoPro Photos and Videos.
**When you have the camera connected via the USB cord, please make sure that you have the camera powered on. The computer will not recognize a USB connection when the camera is powered off. You also need to have a SD card inserted, for the computer to recognize a connection.**
Not having any luck with any of the above tips? If not, there is the possibility of a compatibility issue with the SD card. If you have a separate SD card slot or SD card reader to connect the card to the computer, please do so. If the SD card is recognized in the card reader, please download the files using the reader and then reformat the SD card to see if that allows it to be recognized when connected via the camera. If the SD card is not recognized in a separate card reader either, then there is an issue with computer and SD card compatibility which reformatting the card might resolve.
Use an SD card reader instead.