Here are the minimum system requirements for PC and Mac for 4K edit/playback based on processor and graphics chip manufacturer's websites.
Note: This page does not apply to HEVC playback. For information on HEVC, please see this article.
Integrated Graphics solutions that support 4K external displays (8GB RAM recommended with integrated graphics solutions):
- 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor family (Intel Haswell based CPUs) - (Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200 / Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100, Intel® HD Graphics 5000 / 4600 / 4400 / 4200)
- AMD A10-7800 APU
Discrete Graphics cards that support 4K external displays:
- Nvidia GeForce
- GeForce® GTX™ 970
- GeForce® GTX™ 980
- GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Z
- GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Black
- GeForce® GTX™ TITAN
- GeForce® GTX™ 780 & 780 Ti
- GeForce® GTX™ 770
- GeForce® GTX™ 760 & 760 Ti
- GeForce® GTX™ 750 & 750 Ti
- GeForce® GTX™ 690, 680, 670, 660, 660 Ti, 650, 650 Ti BOOST, 650 Ti
- AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series or better
Other things to consider:
- You need to have a monitor which is capable of playing back 4K video if you want to properly play 4K.
- Even if your computer meets the requirements, you may find that 4K video plays back choppy. This is due to the immense processing power required to play 4K.