Your Guide to GoPros for Kids
We may not be experts, but we know one thing for sure: Every parent wants to capture the most precious moments of their child’s life, from first steps and silly smiles to family vacations and outdoor adventures. But handing your kids a fancy SLR camera or expensive smartphone can be a bit nerve wracking, especially with younger kids.
This is where GoPro comes in. GoPro cameras are small, durable and mountable, so they can go nearly everywhere your kids go. But what makes GoPro unique is how it captures the high-quality video and photos in any kid-tastic scenario.
In other words, they’re the perfect solution for parents who want to find a safe, reliable recording device to immortalize the most magical moments of their children’s lives without fretting over spilled camera gear.
Why GoPro Cameras are Perfect for Kids
Beyond packing serious power into its tiny frame—both HERO10 and HERO9 Black are just 2.7 x 2.1 inches and weigh 153 and 158 grams, respectively—GoPro features several amazing benefits that make it the ideal action camera for kids on an adventure.
- Waterproof — GoPros are waterproof up to 33 feet, perfect for dips in the neighbor’s pool, beach trips, amusement park rides, bath time routines or just slipping and sliding through your backyard.
- Wearable — GoPro offers a lineup of versatile mounts designed to securely fasten the camera to headbands, helmets, harnesses, bikes and more for simple, seamless hands-free use—whether you’re the one filming or not.
The Chesty, for example, is great for capturing hands-free photos and videos of your child enjoy their favorite activities, like learning to ride a bike or playing in the backyard. Just strap it on, hit record and enjoy your kiddo!
- High-quality video and photos — The latest HERO10 Black captures up to 5.3K video at 60 frames per second, so you’ll be able to relive your child’s happiest moments in crystal-clear quality or slow it down to add a cinematic wow-factor.
PRO TIP: You can also pull high-resolution, print-quality still images from high-resolution video using the GoPro Quik app.
- Feature Rich: HingSight, QuikCapture and voice commands are just three of the many features on GoPro that make shooting kid content even easier! HindSight captures up to 30 seconds BEFORE you hit the shutter button, QuikCapture toggles the camera on and starts recording as soon as you hit the shutter button and voice commands are a hands-free way to control your GoPro.
- Intuitive interface — If your child is familiar with any modern device with a touch screen, they’ll master GoPro’s simple interface in seconds.
The question is, how will your kid use their GoPro?
Here's What to Get for a Bicycle Speed Demon
Some kids are just naturally fearless on their bike, and once they get going, everything must be faster. While safety is paramount (wear your helmets!), if your child is vying to be the next X Games gold medalist check out the following:
- Camera of Choice: GoPro MAX is the ultimate camera for capturing EVERYTHING and reframing later to highlight the perfect moments. The two-lens design captures 360° views and 360° audio, delivering one-of-a-kind immersive video. It has incredible stabilization with Max HyperSmooth. And you can toggle to one lens mode to capture traditional 2D photos and videos. It's also easy to pair with the GoPro Quik App to make post-production edits, highlight videos and share them with anyone.
- Best Bike Mount: Handlebar / Seatpost / Pole Camera Mount is a non-slip, adjustable mount that attaches a GoPro directly to the handlebars, bike frame, seat or any pole really.
- Best Helmet Mount: Helmet Front + Side Camera Mount are fully adhesive mounts that can be stuck to any section of the helmet (or other surfaces), giving you a chance to get creative and capture fun shots and videos from all kinds of interesting angles.
PRO TIP: If you’re using MAX to shoot 360 content, add some space between the mounting point and the camera using a Gooseneck. This will create the “where’s the camera?!” experience.
What We Recommend for Swimmers Who Are More Fish Than Children
In the pool or at the beach, GoPro is already waterproof up to 33 feet, but it can go much deeper with the right equipment.
- Camera of Choice: The entire GoPro lineup is designed with water in mind straight out of the box and include ultra-high frame rate options so you can capture slo-mo moments with ease as your kid’s cannonball crashes the water.
- Best Water Protection: GoPro provides additional, optional, protective housings if you are planning to dive to depths up to 196 feet. (HERO8 Black Protective Housing and HERO10 & HERO9 Black Protective Housing)
- Best Beach Mount: The GoPro Surfboard Camera Mount is a quick and easy way to mount your camera to surfboards, kayaks, stand up paddleboards, boats and more.
PRO TIP: Heat up the adhesive on mounts like the Surfboard and Helmet mounts before adhering to toys and allow them to dry overnight before testing them out. This allows the adhesive to stick to its strongest potential.
And Finally, Here's What Will Help Your Junior Technophile Thrive
Does your kid teach you about technology? Are they into drones, vlogging or editing video post-production? Here is the latest cool tech from GoPro to help them do that to an entirely new level.
- Camera of Choice: HERO10 or HERO9 Black, both are beyond next level, and included with GoPro’s HyperSmooth technology to deliver shake-free footage no matter how hyper your kiddo is, incredible audio and durable to jump into any filming scneario.
- Vlog-Specifc Solution of Choice: The Mods! HERO10 and HERO9 Black are both compatible with Media Mod, GoPro Light Mod, Display Mod and the Quik app to create a beginner vlogger’s dream setup! This modular system is designed to make vlogging easy and deliver incredible content, which is easy to edit and share directly to social on Quik.
You can’t go wrong with a GoPro for the aspiring videographer in your family.