Announcing ‘Open GoPro’ API + New HERO9 Black Firmware
Enables Third-Party Developers to Integrate HERO9 Black Into Their Solutions
HERO9 Black v1.6 Firmware Update Kicks Off Open GoPro Support
Open GoPro is an open API initiative that makes it easy for third-party developers to integrate HERO9 Black into their own development efforts.
With Open GoPro, developers have API access to the following HERO9 Black features:
- Wireless Connectivity
- Camera Command and Control
- Camera Status
- Camera Preview
- SD Card Media Review and Transfer
Demos and sample code are available on GoPro.com/OpenGoPro. No application or approval process is necessary.
Companies already incorporating Open GoPro include:
- Amazfit smartwatches: Wirelessly control your GoPro using the Amazfit watch touch display.
- Centurion Boats: Wirelessly control your GoPro via the boat’s helm control screen.
- Orqa FPV Goggles: Wirelessly control a GoPro mounted on an FPV drone using the Orqa FPV. Connect app and see camera status directly in the goggles.
- Pixellot sport broadcasting: Wirelessly control GoPro cameras and manage the transfer of content via Pixellot’s mobile platform.
- Sena Bluetooth® devices: Take voice-control of your GoPro using the built-in mics on the Sena Communications 50S and 50R headsets, ideal for motorcycle and other high-wind applications.
Image courtesy of Pixellot
Open GoPro is live for HERO9 Black starting today with the release of the camera firmware update v1.6, available via GoPro’s Quik app as well as on GoPro.com. The firmware includes the following additional updates:
- Improved camera power on/power off speed and consistency
- Improved Quik app connectivity
- Improved touch screen sensitivity in menus and settings
- Improved reliability when using ‘The Remote’ to control your camera
To learn more about Open GoPro visit GoPro.com/OpenGoPro. To update HERO9 Black firmware, pair your camera to the Quik app or visit GoPro.com.