We’re Rolling Out More Features + Support on GoPro Labs
Just shy of turning 1 year old, GoPro Labs is getting its first major upgrade to welcome HERO9 Black, HERO7 Black and GoPro MAX to join HERO8 Black on the list of GoPro cameras supported by the platform, alongside a number of new, innovative features.
GoPro Labs was launched with the intent of inviting GoPro gurus, superusers and forward-thinkers to experience some of the experimental features being pioneered by our top engineers. These features included QR-code-controlled options that were released on HERO8 Black in May 2020—including motion detection, wake-up timers, saving favorite settings, camera personalization and more— some of which became official features in HERO9 Black, which launched in fall 2020.
With the additional new features launched today, users can push GoPro camera versatility even further and provide important feedback to the GoPro team to drive the outcome of potential future updates. New GoPro Labs features include:
- Camera Motion Triggers: Leverage the camera’s accelerometer and/or gyroscope to start/stop capture only when the camera is in motion, preserving storage and battery.
- USB Power Triggers: Equips GoPro to start/stop capture when USB power is detected, enabling USB-triggered functions like serving as a dash cam.
- Motion Detection Enhancements: Motion detection is now supported in all video modes, including 360° motion detection on MAX, with improvements to the sensitivity range.
- Simplified Live Streaming QR Code: Program GoPro to start live streaming within seconds of being connected to a designated Wi-Fi network.
- Single-Setting/One-Button Mode: Enable a one-button mode where the operator can only start/stop capture, making it impossible to accidentally change camera modes—designed to capture critical events.
- New Exposure Modes: Set timed exposure lock and minimum shutter speed settings.
- New QR Code Controls: QR code controls supported in 5K and HindSight capture for HERO9 Black.
These features can be unlocked on HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black and GoPro MAX today by installing the GoPro Labs firmware available on GoPro.com/Labs. GoPro Labs firmware includes the current public firmware capabilities appropriate for each model, plus the range of experimental features listed above.
To learn a little more about GoPro Labs, the following is a Q&A with GoPro Technical Fellow and mastermind behind GoPro Labs, David Newman.
GoPro: Whom is GoPro Labs for?
David: From experimenters and thinkers to nature videographers and FPV pilots, GoPro Labs enables to users to push GoPro camera versatility even further.
What features have been improved upon in this update?
Since GoPro Labs now works with HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black and MAX, we’ve matched the motion detection capabilities to support all video modes across all cameras and made improvements to the sensitivity range. This means 360° motion detection is supported on MAX, which will be huge for nature videographers.
What will users be most excited about for this GoPro Labs update?
Motion detection on HERO9 Black and MAX.
Will any features of current public firmware for HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black or MAX be affected or unusable upon installation of GoPro Labs?
None. The Labs firmware is intended to operate the same as the main production firmware.
Will any features of current public firmware for HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black or MAX be improved upon installation of GoPro Labs?
HindSight with motion detection is a magical experience. Previously the motion detection might miss the first few frames of the action, so you might miss the setup to a great shot. But with HindSight, the GoPro will automatically store all the action, including all the needed pre-roll, without any user pressing the record button.
For example, if you are self-shooting a skateboard trick, jumping over the camera from behind. All of this will be captured flawlessly using GoPro Labs and HindSight on HERO9 Black.
To celebrate, GoPro Awards is now hosting a GoPro Labs Challenge. Show us how you put GoPro Labs to use by submitting your best shots to the Anything Awesome Challenge at GoPro.com/Awards. When uploading your clip, select "GoPro Labs" from the dropdown menu for the opportunity to receive cash rewards or be featured on GoPro’s social channels.
Visit GoPro.com/Labs to get dialed in on GoPro Labs today.