GoPro Starter Tips to Take You from Zero to Hero
Congratulations on getting your first GoPro. You’re going to see the world like you’ve never seen it before. Whether you’re jumping out of planes, perfecting your home cooking or sharing pictures of your kids, these useful tips will help you get the most out of your GoPro. And when you see how versatile it really is, you’ll have so much fun capturing everything you do.
Try Different Layouts
- When you do want to frame your photos, try turning your GoPro vertically to capture portrait-style compositions.
GoPro cameras are built with a wide-angle lens. This allows you to showcase what you’re doing and where you’re doing it. In addition to playing with the camera settings, remember these tips:
Your Point of View (POV)
When your GoPro is capturing from your POV, like when it’s mounted to a helmet, be sure to aim the lens about 6-7 feet in front of you. This will make the video feel like it’s from your eyes without parts of your body getting in the way.
- When aiming your GoPro back at yourself, aim the lens down at your belly button.
- This will insure you, and the world, are in your photo.
Explore New Angles
- Vary your shots. Try mounting your GoPro on your wrist, ankle, chest or a pole. For a unique hands-free perspective, mount to your camera to objects near you with a JAWS Flex Clamp or a quick-release adhesive mount.
Your GoPro was made to capture the unexpected. But you don’t have to do a triple backflip on a bike to make a great video. The secret is to think about the story you’re telling.
- Begin with a Basic Setting. As a start, set your camera to 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second (fps). You’ll also be able to get great slow-motion replay.
- Capture the Journey. Record yourself getting ready for whatever activity you plan to embark, not just the climactic action itself.
- Let the People Hear Your Voice. Narrate/talk to the camera, especially while you shoot your journey.
- Find Your Best Content. Memory cards get full. Which can make it hard to locate the moment you want to share. Using the HiLight Tagging feature, you can bookmark amazing photos or great video moments while recording by pressing the side button on your GoPro. You can also do this while reviewing your content on the LCD screen or on your mobile device.
- Get Social. Once you’ve found the footage you want to share, the GoPro mobile app makes it easy to share it to your social networks. All you have to do is pair your camera to save, review and share your content instantly.
- Keep the Lens Clean; use your shirt, lens cloth, or any other soft surface to wipe away any smudges, water spots or dust.
- Let People See What You've Captured. You’re going to have a lot of amazing content. The GoPro for Desktop app is a great way to easily upload, organize, and make quick effortless edits to your photos and videos before you share them.
- Enjoy Every Moment. A day at the playground. A family reunion. A BBQ with friends. Take your GoPro with you. Set it out and enjoy taking photos and videos hands-free.