Registration is Now Open for the 2019 GoPro Mountain Games
What has 30+ events, lasts for four days and is fun for families and athletes of all ages (dogs included)? The 2019 GoPro Mountain Games, of course! And lucky for athletes of all abilities, registration for events across 12+ disciplines is now open.
So start training, because come June 6-9, you’re going to want to be in peak GoPro Mountain Games-shape—whether that means kayaking, running, fishing, strolling pushing, crowd-dodging dog-watching or beverage-drinking shape is up to you. All we know, is that 2019 is slated to top the 80,000+ spectators and 3,000+ athletes this epic mountain experience in Vail, Co., has become world-renowned for.
“Vail is buried in snow right now and looks like the perfect winter wonderland, but as any Mountain Games veteran will tell you, this is also the time of year when mountain-dwellers from around the world start gearing up, training, and looking ahead to the kick-off to summer at the GoPro Mountain Games,” said Dave Dressman, VP of Sponsorship and Sales for the Vail Valley Foundation, the nonprofit that organizes the event.
Registration for all events is open on MountainGames.com, and don’t delay because early-bird pricing is available for a limited time. This event is truly one-of-a-kind, and the only place a “regular joe” is competes side-by-side with decorated athletes from around the globe.
What’s New in 2019:
- A Short Track Relay bike event at Golden Peak on Friday, June 7. This fun, fast, and crowd-friendly event will consist of two-person teams navigating a course-combo of dirt, short single-track, grass and pavement, which means cross-country or cyclocross bikes are best suited for this event.
- All things fishing:
- Catch Wars: The best guides in the business can face off against one another at the Catch Wars competition June 6 on the Edwards-to-Wolcott stretch of the Eagle River.
- Winners of the Costa Fly-Tying competition will qualify for the June 9 finals competition.
- Fly-tying winners will join winners from the Pro Guide Wars as well as winners from the well-known and well-loved Costa 2 Fly X-Stream casting competition which takes place June 7-8.
- Kids’ Catch & Cast (14-and-under) fishing event at Bighorn Park in East Vail. The pond will be stocked ahead of the event, in preparation for some catch-and-release fishing, and parents and kids will be able to enjoy a serene environment at one of Vail’s most beautiful parks on June 8.
- The grueling Pepi’s Face-Off hill climb will only have one wave (instead of two).
- More prizes are now available in the Road Bike Time Trial. New, timed, segments are being added to the course, and the fastest men’s and women’s riders through those sections can win additional prizes.
- Disc Golfers, one of the most popular events since it’s arrival in 2016, will have an additional round of competition added, and the event will boast two 18-hole courses, a 9-hole course, and a skills challenge.
- Youth whitewater participants will now have their own category in the GMC Downriver Kayak Sprint and GMC Downriver SUP Sprint.
- The wildly popular, FREE TIAA Bank Kids’ X-Country Mountain Bike will have a bit more elbow room this year with the addition of more categories to suit all biking abilities.
The Ultimate Test of Mountain Grit
The 2019 GoPro Mountain Games will also feature an all-new take on the GMC Ultimate Mountain Challenge. This burly take on the beloved classic will be a six-event test of tenacity unlike anything else in the sporting world.
Each competitor will “choose their own adventure” by selecting five qualifying events. Then on Sunday, June 9, all UMC competitors will take on the Pepi’s Face-Off hill climb in a head-to-head showdown to determine who will take their share of the $11,500 prize purse.
Registration opens at $250, with the first 50 registrants receiving a one-of-a-kind UMC branded cap from YoColorado and an Osprey Hikelite day pack. Winners will be determined based on a points-system that takes event difficulty and athlete placement into account. All who compete will be known throughout the land as tough, fearless mountain athletes who had the courage to take on the most dynamic event in adventure sports.
And last but not least, GoPro Mountain Games will feature the mind-blowing sponsor activations giveaways, and activities from more than 150+ outdoor brands throughout Vail Village, Mountain Plaza, Golden Peak and Lionshead; and it’s paired with three nights of free music at the GoPro Mountains of Music at the Ford Amphitheater in Vail. Follow the days leading up to the event on @mountaingamesvail.