So, what’s the story behind Black Friday and Cyber Monday anyway? And do we really need to know anything beyond the fact that we’re going to get screamin’ deals on all kinds of awesome stuff?
If you want to drop some savvy shopper knowledge on your friends and family at Thanksgiving dinner, you’ve come to the right place. But if you’re thinking, “just show me the money, GoPro!” then we’ll save you the time … and money.
Available now you can score an extra 15% off sitewide on GoPro.com. Plus the following:
- $150 in value savings on HERO11 Black when you purchase with a 1-year GoPro Subscription.
- $200 in value savings on HERO11 Black + Accessories Bundle when you purchase with a 1-year GoPro Subscription. This bundle comes with a spare Enduro Battery, The Handler, Head Strap + Quik Clip and a 32GB SD Card.
- $255 in value savings on HERO11 Black Creator Edition when you purchase with a 1-year GoPro Subscription. Creator Edition includes: the Volta Hand Grip, Light Mod and Media Mod.
- $150 in value savings on HERO11 Black Mini when you purchase with a 1-year GoPro Subscription.
- $84 in value savings on HERO11 Black Mini + Accessories Bundle when you purchase with a 1-year GoPro Subscription. This bundle comes with a spare Chesty, The Handler, Adhesive Mounts and a 32GB SD Card.
Now, for the real treat—a Black Friday/Cyber Monday “The More You Know” history moment:
- Black Friday began in the ‘50s, when people shopped in stores exclusively. So, retailers got to thinking, “we should have some big sales on the day after Thanksgiving since most people aren’t working.” It worked so well that the uptick in sales tipped them “into the black” (meaning, they made a bunch of money and became profitable for the year). And so, Black Friday was born.
- But what about Cyber Monday? Back in 2005, online shopping wasn't as big as it is today, so dotcom stores began running sales to encourage shoppers to ditch their brick-and-mortar game and buy online. But why Monday? Turns out recreational shopping pairs well with our morning coffee at the office. So, while ‘Cyber Saturday’ has alliteration going for it, Monday is when online shops reported the most transactions, earning the holiday its name
And that wraps up GoPro Black Friday 101. Have a happy holiday!