If you are experiencing a problem where your phone or tablet is disconnecting from your camera's Wi-Fi network, this FAQ should help top resolve the problem. Here are some of the messages that you may receive on your mobile device:
- Avoided poor internet connection
- Internet connection is unstable
- Internet not available
- Network disabled, poor connection
- Network disabled because internet connection is slow
- Poor Connection / Connection Lost
Follow these steps to try and resolve the problem:
- Forget the camera's wireless network via the mobile devices wireless settings, the re-add the camera's wireless network.
- There are a few Wi-Fi settings that will make a difference here. You can find them by going to the Advanced Wi-Fi Settings on the device. Note that not all devices will have all of these settings.
- "Check for Internet service" - If present make sure this setting is unchecked. If this is checked the phone with try to verify if the access point has internet connectivity. Since the camera's Wi-Fi does not have internet, it results in an error. Example device: Samsung S3, S4.
- "Auto network switch" - If present try disabling this setting. If this setting is enabled it will prompt the camera to automatically switch to a Wi-Fi network with an internet connection. Since the camera's Wi-Fi does not have internet, it switches to a different Wi-Fi network. Example device: Samsung Note 3.
- "Smart Mode" - This should be turned OFF. When enabled the device drops GoPro App connections when within range of a more popular network such as a Home or Office network. Example device: Samsung Galaxy S4.
- "Avoid poor connection" - If present, make sure that this setting is checked. Example device: Nexus 5.
- "Auto connect" - This setting allows the phone to automatically connect to known Wi-Fi networks. If present, try disabling this. Example device: Samsung Galaxy S3.
- "Sprint Connections Optimizer" - This option is on Sprint phones only. If present, try turing this off. This setting forces an auto-connect to 4G, over-riding Wi-Fi in a small number of locations on the Sprint network. You can find this by going to Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Connections Optimizer > Uncheck "Sprint Connections Optimizer".
- Apply the latest software update for your camera.