What's the issue?
Preview never starts in the GoPro App. Users get a message stating "PREVIEW STARTING" but Preview never starts. "PREVIEW STARTING" is displayed whether or not the customer is recording.
Where does it apply?
- GoPro App
- HERO4 - The iPhone 4 does not support preview with a HERO4 camera.
- HD HERO2
Preview Compatability Matrix
|iPhone 3GS||HLS||HLS||HLS||NO PREVIEW|
|iPhone 4||HLS||HLS||HLS||NO PREVIEW|
|iPod (all generations)||HLS||HLS||LTP||NO PREVIEW|
HLS - HTTP Live Stream ~ 3-4 second delay
LTP - Live Transmission Protocol ~1 second delay for preview
1. Make sure that you’re within range.
You want the Wi-Fi icon in your App to show at least 2 bars to be sure that you’re within range (~30-50ft).
2. Close / Kill and re-launch the App.
iOS - Double tap the home button and swipe the GoPro App screen up to quit the app
Android - Due to the variance of Android devices, please reference this third party tutorial
Windows - Press and hold the back button on the phone and select the X in the upper right corner of the application
4. Test with your device’s Airplane Mode turned ON.
In most cases, Preview doesn’t start when your device’s APN profile prevents the GoPro App from working properly. This can also be attributed to network inference by surrounding wireless devices. To test for this, forget the GoPro Wi-Fi network on your device, turn ON Airplane Mode on your device, remove/reinsert the camera’s battery, and power on/off the Wi-Fi BacPac (for HD HERO2 camera). Next, reconnect your device to the GoPro Wi-Fi network.
Launch the GoPro App. If you can see Preview with Airplane Mode ON, this means that you either need to uninstall your APN profile if you’ve downloaded apps that affect data, like Onavo, Snappli, or APN-Switch – OR – the user is in a location with significant wireless interference which can result in packet loss.
Also be sure to check your carrier’s data plan. If they don’t allow streaming video, you’ll need to turn ON Airplane mode to view Preview on the GoPro App. Also turn off any Firewall apps, such as Droid Wall. If this doesn't work, check with your carrier to see if they've disabled video streaming on your device. We’ve seen this with some prepaid carriers.
5. Make sure the camera software is up to date on your HERO4, HERO3, or HD HERO2 camera (and your Wi-Fi BacPac if you’re using an HD HERO2 camera).
For your HERO4, HERO3+, HERO3 camera or HD HERO2 camera, you can do this verifying your version.txt file against the current camera software releases by visiting the Software Update Release Information page.
- Click here for HERO4 camera manual software update instructions.
- Click here for HERO3+ camera manual software update instructions.
- Click here for HERO3 camera manual software update instructions.
- Click here for HD HERO2 camera manual software update instructions.
7. Try another device
This will help the us understand if there is an issue with the mobile device or possibly the camera.