If your camera is freezing up, that usually means that you need to update the camera's software or there are some issues with the SD card. Here's some information on SD card recommendations. Here are some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue for you: Before proceeding make sure that you have turned off Wi-Fi and removed any BacPacs.
- If your camera is currently frozen, try to remove and then reinsert the battery to get it unstuck.
- Make sure you have the most current software on your camera. Click here for instructions on how to check the software on your HD HERO2 camera or HERO3 camera. If you're not sure you have the most current software on your HD HERO Original camera, we recommend redoing the software update. Here's a link to the HD HERO Original Camera Software Update page. HERO3+ currently does not have an available update
- If you have the most current camera software, you may need to re-update manually if the software installation was somehow corrupted. Here are instructions on how to redo the software update on the HD HERO2 camera and HERO3 camera. For the HD HERO Original camera, follow instructions on the HD HERO Original Camera Software Update page. For HERO3+ users, contact support for information on how to proceed.
- Try reformatting the SD card using the delete ALL function of the settings menu. Here are instructions for the HD HERO2 camera and HERO3 & HERO3+ cameras.
- Try a different, known good SD card. We recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through reputable resellers. There are both counterfeit and underperforming SD cards out in the marketplace, which can prevent proper functioning of your HD HERO camera's features.
Not all Class 10 microSD cards have the same data write speeds. If you plan to shoot in 4k, 2.7k, or Protune video modes with your HERO3: Black Edition camera, we recommend using one of the following microSD cards for the best performance:
- SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQXL-032G)
- SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQXL-064G)
- Lexar 32GB SDHC 600x (LSDMI32GBSBNA600R)
- Lexar 64GB SDXC 600x (LSDMI64GBBNL300R)
- Delkin 32GB SDHC (DDMICROSDPRO2-32GB)
- Delkin 64GB SDXC (DDMICROSDPRO264GB)
- Samsung 64GB SDXC (MB-MGCGB/AM)
If you still experience freeze-up issues, please use the Contact Us form to contact a GoPro Tech Support Representative.