What's the issue?
The camera freezes up.
Where does it apply?
- HD HERO2
- HD HERO Original
How to fix it
If your camera is freezing up, that usually means that you need to update the camera's software or there are some issues with the SD card. Here's some information on SD card recommendations. Here are some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue for you: Before proceeding make sure that you have turned off Wi-Fi and removed any BacPacs.
NOTE: Before proceeding make sure that you have turned off Wi-Fi and removed any BacPacs (not applicable with the HERO, HERO+ LCD and/or HERO4 Session).
- If your camera is currently frozen, try to reset the camera by holding the MODE button for 10 seconds (hold the SHUTTER button on the HERO4 Session).
- Should the camera not prompt a reset, remove and then reinsert the battery to get it unstuck (for cameras with integrated batteries, Step 1 will imitate a battery pull).
- Make sure you have the most current software on your camera. Click here for instructions on how to check the software on your camera. If you're not sure you have the most current software on your camera, we recommend redoing the software update. Check out these pages for all of the latest camera software updates:
- If you have the most current camera software, you may need to re-update the camera software.
- Try reformatting the SD card using the DELETE ALL function in the camera settings. Here are instructions:
- Determine whether removing the SD card from the camera alleviates the freezing (i.e., power the camera on without an SD card and see if the camera freezes while navigating the menus).
- Try a different, known good SD card. We recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through reputable resellers. Check out our Recommended SD Card list. There are both counterfeit and underperforming SD cards out in the marketplace, which can prevent proper functioning of your HD HERO camera's features.