If the LCD BacPac or LCD Touch BacPac is kept on continuously throughout recording, you will have about half of the normal run time. The HD HERO (Original) and HERO3+ cameras do, however, have a setting to have the LCD screen automatically power off 60 seconds after the last button press. This will help minimize the reduction in run time.
For HD HERO (Original) you can enable the AUTO OFF feature in the LCD BacPac settings menu. Follow the below steps:
- Power on the camera with the LCD BacPac attached.
- Press and hold the LCD BacPac power/play button for 2 seconds and let go.
- Press the power/mode button on the front of the camera multiple times until "AUTO OFF" is highlighted.
- Press the shutter button on the top of the camera one time to change "NEVER" to "60s".
- Press the power/mode button on the front of the camera one time so that EXIT is highlighted.
- Press the shutter button on the top of the camera to select EXIT.
Now your LCD BacPac will automatically turn off after 60 seconds of inactivity. This will occur when the camera is recording or in stand-by mode.
For HERO3+ with the LCD BacPac or LCD Touch BacPac, follow these instructions:
- In the camera setting browse to and select LCD Settings.
- Select the LCD OFF option.
- Select either Never, 60, 120, or 300 seconds.
- Exit Settings
Now your LCD BacPac will automatically turn off after the set number of seconds of inactivity. This will occur when the camera is recording or in stand-by mode.
If you have a HD HERO2, or HERO3 camera it does not have an option to automatically turn the LCD screen off automatically, but you can just hold the power button on the side of the LCD BacPac for 2-3 seconds to power it off. You can then just power it back on when needed.